BvG Docu and home stack in Metacard

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 8 19:28:26 CDT 2007

Björnke von Gierke wrote:

>> I like the current mctranscript stack, it's very simple and easy. I
>> don't often feel a need for anything more complex, usually I just need
>> to look up a behavior or syntax. I'd like to see it updated to read
>> the new Rev docs. On the other hand, I'm not familiar enough with
>> BvG's version to know what I'm talking about. ;)
>
> The Rev docu uses about 41 different stacks (for the dictionary alone),
> which get loaded and unloaded constantly during looking at the entries
> within the rev ide. Frankly I do not want to do something that slow, and
> it is the main reason why I used the export approach.
> An alternative would be to put everything into one file, for example a
> stack, but with ca. 8 MB, that's quite a hefty chunk of RAM in my
> opinion (although you might reduce it by getting rid of all the xml stuff).

Actually, the mcTranscriptDict fully loaded with all tokens from v2.6 is
only about 2.8 MB.  The Rev XML external is 1.5MB by itself, so any net
difference in terms of memory is minimal.

The XML parsing could be written as custom handlers and be pretty
lightweight.  They use a simple and consistent format so I'm not sure we
need to load Rev's external or ask Ken to free up his lib.

If you like I can take a look at their XML later and see if I can come
up with some handlers to parse it up.

The irony of all of it is that they wind up putting all of the data into
a single field, so I'm not sure why the entries aren't just published as
htmlText. :\