Automated setup file uploaded

Tariel Gogoberidze tariel at mac.com
Mon Jul 16 15:26:23 CDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:28:48 -0500, "J. Landman Gay"  wrote:

>> 4) When I tried to save "home" stack in MC IDE created with
>> "metacard_setup" I got "can't open stack backup file" error. Recently
>> I'm getting such error from time to time in my version of MC IDE as
>> well, so it may have something with my computer configuration (I still
>> have panther on this particular computer). Just curious if anybody saw
>> such error recently. In my case, second attempt to save is always
>> successful but  after the error I usually see renamed copy of
>> "mctools.mc" stack in the root folder and the filename is either
>> arbitrary letter "c" or "f"  etc or the digit "0" or  "9", or "7" etc.
>> It looks almost like new engine bug where engine can't create "~" +
>> filename BackUp of opened stack in MC IDE.
>
> This is almost always computer-related, and the error comes from the
> engine when it can't write a file to your hard drive for some reason.
> If
> the second attempt always works, you may have an older backup file
> still
> on disk with the same name the engine wants to use for the backup. Look
> in your stack's folder location for any old stacks that look like
> incomplete backup files (for example, any stacks with a tilde in the
> name.) Permissions can be another problem, but it doesn't sound like
> that is what's wrong.
>

> As an experiment, make a new folder and move your stacks to that
> location. Then try saving the stack again and see if it works. If it
> does, there is something wrong with the older folder.

Right, that's what I did when I created new folder with brand new MC
IDE using "metacard_setup.mc" stack.
As soon as I tried to save "home" stack I got "can't open stack backup
file" error, same error that I'm getting from time to time in my MC
IDE. The second attempt to save is always successful which probably
excludes Permissions. Still It seems related to my computer otherwise
somebody would confirm this issue.

As for the rest of my post, you are right, it's better to keep such
modifications personal and handle them in either plugIn or front Script
or the script of stack home.

best regards
Tariel