ANN: Vista "Gotchas" You Should Know About

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Feb 24 16:19:39 CST 2007

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:30:37 -0800, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> For my apps, this is the relevant piece:
>>
>>  > # Write per-user data to the user profile (%APPDATA%).
>>  > # Write per-machine data to users\all users\application data\...
>> (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%).
>>
>> So apparently you're right and we can use AppData.
>
> Just to be clear for us slow-pokes, this works while logged in under
> a non-admin account?

Yes, but just keep in mind that if you want your users to be able to
have easy access to writeable data, that AppData is not the place to
put it (since that folder is hidden). But for configuration files you
want to read/write to that the user won't be getting at themselves,
AppData is the place to put it.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com