ANN: Vista "Gotchas" You Should Know About

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Feb 24 14:07:19 CST 2007

Ken Ray wrote:

 > Well, here's the official word from Microsoft from their page
 > "Developer Best Practices and Guidelines for Applications in a Least
 > Privileged Environment"
 > (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480150.aspx) :
 >
 > "Applications should be installed in the \Programs files\ directory.
 > Per-user configuration information should be stored in the
 > \Users\(username)\AppData directory. User data, templates, and
 > application-created files all have proper locations in the
 > \Users\(username) subdirectories. Although this was not enforced in the
 > past, since many users would run programs with full administrative
 > privileges, applications that do not place information in the correct
 > location are likely to fail. This is especially true when
 > Virtualization is turned off."
 >
 > This is #3 in the section "Designing Applications for Windows Vista" -
 > it's worthy of a good read.

Thanks very much for this, very helpful and just what I was looking for.
For my apps, this is the relevant piece:

 > # Write per-user data to the user profile (%APPDATA%).
 > # Write per-machine data to users\all users\application data\...
(%ALLUSERSPROFILE%).

So apparently you're right and we can use AppData. I was especially
interested in the global user data location (AllUsersProfile). I
couldn't find that info when I did my search yesterday.

Looks like we are all going to have to update our apps for Vista.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com