ANN: Vista "Gotchas" You Should Know About

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Feb 24 09:30:31 CST 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:40:43 -0600, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Some of the info I found suggested these last two were only writable
> at installation, and after that were read-only. Is that true? One
> would think the AppData folders would be the natural place to put
> files, but someone was commenting they had to use Documents because
> AppData couldn't be written to.

Well, here's the official word from Microsoft from their page
"Developer Best Practices and Guidelines for Applications in a Least
Privileged Environment"
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480150.aspx) :

"Applications should be installed in the \Programs files\ directory.
Per-user configuration information should be stored in the
\Users\(username)\AppData directory. User data, templates, and
application-created files all have proper locations in the
\Users\(username) subdirectories. Although this was not enforced in the
past, since many users would run programs with full administrative
privileges, applications that do not place information in the correct
location are likely to fail. This is especially true when
Virtualization is turned off."

This is #3 in the section "Designing Applications for Windows Vista" -
it's worthy of a good read.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com