Speed differences between MC and Rev and the origin of the English language

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 22 00:03:10 CDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> What could revGeneral possibly be doing that affects the execution of
> scripts that don't call any of its handlers?

Probably nothing; I only mentioned it because you were wondering if any
libraries were included in app builds. But if a script doesn't call any
handlers in the library, then of course it wouldn't interfere.

What I'm fuzzy on, and don't have time to look up, is whether there are
any handlers in there that might be called automatically; for example,
if it catches any system messages and then passes them on. It might, but
I haven't checked.

> We just might have stumbled onto Rev's tech support holy grail: if
> revGeneral turns out to be such an unruly citizen, invoking its own
> handlers independent of the developer's control, the implications for
> other bugs reported by developers and their end-users are potentially
> quite broad.

Probably not wise to make assumptions before we find out. It might be
something entirely different.

> But if it turns out that revGeneral operates in a polite, clean way that
> doesn't unexpectedly alter normal script execution, then what could be
> causing Wilhelm's performance drop?

Still a mystery; I don't know.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com