Speed differences between MC and Rev and the origin of the English language

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 21 15:52:17 CDT 2006

Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> had
> written (Subject: Re: [ANN]: Imagedata Toolkit (beta) released):

>> Revolution
>>
>> How could that be possible when they both use the same engine?
>

> The Rev IDE is a slowly evolving environment with about 20 times more
> code than in the MC IDE. Given the additional intricacy and
> interrelatedness of this code it is quite natural that speed and other
> problems occur. Some of my earlier stacks - the discussion about this
> and examples are still to be found on my website (I will remove them
> soon) - would not even start in the Rev IDE or crash or could not be
> inspected by the application browser or property inspectors because
> these tools were unable to handle larger number of objects in a stack.
> The Rev IDE indeed has considerably improved over time, but IMHO has
> still a while to go to become a reliable and more user-friendly
> application.
>
> As to standalones, apparently something is being added to them in Rev
> what is happily missing in Metacard.

So it would seem.

Logically speaking, the same engine with the same scripts should produce
equivalent performance.  I don't dispute the results, so there must be
some difference here.

If you're certain the engine version is the same when building
standalones in both MC and Rev, then we can rule that out.

That leaves us with the possibility that Rev is including some of its
scripts even when you tell it not to.

When you pour through the standalone with a raw editor do you see any
Rev scripts in there?

  Managing Editor, revJournal