Speed differences between MC and Rev and the origin of the English language

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Thu Sep 21 14:40:12 CDT 2006

Home again and back to work as I announced 11 days ago. There is a
350-pages doctoral dissertation on my desk - a study about internet use
in schools - which I need to assess and grade during the next two weeks,
but I resume paying some attention to my imagedata stuff and MC.

My two vacations this summer were spent in parts of Germany where
language minorities still fight against assimilation. Last week I
visited the Sorbian area near Poland where a small number of people
still speak their old Slavonic language which is also still used in
schools. In July I spent a quiet time in the northernmost county of
Germany, called "land Angeln" since 2000 years - South of the Danish
border - from where the English language and especially the name for the
"English" language originated.
I had taken my laptop with me to the land "Angeln" to work on my
"imagedate toolkit", but in the first night the harddisk crashed and I
had two weeks time to attend to other matters and study the local
culture and what had remained from old times; additionaly I consulted my
memory and later Wikipedia and my old textbooks. As you all on this list
are more or less familiar with the English language it will not hurt to
share my collected insights about its origin:

The short story of the development - and about 99% of this is true -
runs like this (and the Scots are also instrumental here, if only in a
somewhat negative way):

The Roman emperor Hadrian had built his Hadrian's wall across England
from Newcastle to Carlisle because he did not like bagpipe music and
kilts. When the Roman empire broke down in the 4th century, the
revolutionaries from Edinburgh again annoyed the Celtic population South
of the Hadrian's wall. Then the British Celts asked two former Roman
mercenaries, namely Hengist and Horsa, to help them against the Scots.
Hengist and Horsa happened to belong to the Anglian tribe in the land
"Angeln" and asked their relatives and more tribesmen over to Britain.
The Saxons - South of the land "Angeln" - and the Jutes to the North
joined them and established their kingdoms (and languages) in the new
country. The last Celtic king to fight against this invasion was the
legendary King Arthur from Tintagel in Cornwall.

Later other waves of immigrants came over to England from the same
places where the Anglians, the Saxons, and the Jutes originally lived.
 From the eight century on the Vikings made frequents inroads  and then
settled in England (the famous "Hägar" was one of them). In about 10
miles distance from where I spent my July vacation is "Haithabu", the
former trade center of the Vikings in the land "Angeln" (a place similar
to Sutton Hoo in England, where big Viking ships have also been found).
In the 11th century after Hastings the Normans, which were originally
Vikings, too, came over who had made a detour through the Normandy in
France, got civilized there and had learned some French and French
cuisine in the meantime. Then even later more Northern Germanic tribes
invaded, especially Jutes (Danes) who established the "Danelag" in
England. Knud the Great was at the same time King of England and
Angeln/Denmark/Norway. All these Germanic tribes spoke closely related
Germanic dialects very similar to the language documented in "Beowulf",
the oldest extant example of poetic "Old-English" language.
Interestingly, the venue of the saga told in Beowulf, this center piece
of Old-English literature, is the Southern area of Scandinavia.

By the time of Chaucer the Anglian/English language had evolved as the
widely spoken and officially used means of communication in the new
"England". It is an astonishing fact of language development that the
term "Anglian/English" , derived from the small land-Angeln region of
continental Europe, finally prevailed as the name for one the most
important languages and the "lingua franca" for international
communication of today. At least the Saxon part of this language
development is honored when we sometimes also speak of Anglo-Saxons and
Anglo-Saxon languages.--

======================

Now to the speed differences:

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> had
written (Subject: Re: [ANN]: Imagedata Toolkit (beta) released):

> Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
>
> >> (Remark for Metacard list members only:
> >> For optimal performance use the Metacard IDE. When run in the
> Revolution
> >> IDE some filters need up to 45% more processing time than in MC. This
> >> also holds when you create a standalone.)
>
> How could that be possible when they both use the same engine?

The Rev IDE is a slowly evolving environment with about 20 times more
code than in the MC IDE. Given the additional intricacy and
interrelatedness of this code it is quite natural that speed and other
problems occur. Some of my earlier stacks - the discussion about this
and examples are still to be found on my website (I will remove them
soon) - would not even start in the Rev IDE or crash or could not be
inspected by the application browser or property inspectors because
these tools were unable to handle larger number of objects in a stack.
The Rev IDE indeed has considerably improved over time, but IMHO has
still a while to go to become a reliable and more user-friendly application.

As to standalones, apparently something is being added to them in Rev
what is happily missing in Metacard.

Richard,
six months ago - on March 1 - I had sent an offlist post to you
concerning the same topic. I will quote from this post for the benefit
of the other list members:

> > Did you ever determine the cause of these performance differences?
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> I repeated the comparison of  MC and Rev IDEs and standalones with the
> latest version of 2.7. GM 1.
>
> As testscript I used the duplicating of imagedata colors of a 640X480
> image. The image returns to its original appearance after 8 runs of
> the script. Each run needs a slightly different time, because the
> number of corrections for each color value necessary when the
> duplicated color value is greater than 255 - their is an if-statement
> that takes care of that - is different for each run.
>
> The speed varies between 2355 and 2779 milliseconds with MC and 2849
> and 3335 in Rev, the average speed difference between MC and Rev is
> about 600 milliseconds (2 GHz machine). Running the test in the IDEs
> or as standalones makes no apparent difference.

For the latest IDE versions with engine 2.7.3 and with improved scripts
these values are now like this:

An almost constant speed of slightly below 1700 milliseconds for MC and
an equally nearly constant speed of  2350 milliseconds in Rev, but with
a peak of 2400 milliseconds. Building a standalone in both IDEs indeed
does not change these results.

You can test this using sample images "Portrait of the Artist" and "Red
Square Moscow" from my Imagedata Toolkit (to be dowloaded from my
website <http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>) and using filter "Duplicate
Colors 1". "Red Square Moscow" provides better results in terms of
interesting colors.

Continued quote of my post from March 1:

> I saw to it - as I explained in my last post - that no inclusions or
> any libraries were added to the standalones.  However the resulting
> Rev  standalone is somewhat bigger than the MC one, about 150 KByte.
>
> As substack "revsaveasstandalone" of stack "revStandaloneSettings" is
> password-protected I cannot find out what happens here; they should
> definitely remove this password protection (the necessity for this -
> as far as I remember - was to enforce an additional logo that appeared
> when a standalone was closed indicating with version of Revolution was
> used -"Studio", "Enterprise", "Educational" etc.).
>
> If the password protection would be removed RunRev would gain the
> opportunity to get help from interested member of the community to
> improve the Rev standalone builder.-
>
> By the way, I also used Chipp Walters "altclean"  plugin with the Rev
> stack to remove unnessary components of that may have been inserted
> when working in the Rev IDE, but this did not change the test results.
>
> (snip)
>
> Wilhelm Sanke

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke