Genu-Ine IDE issue

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Sep 17 08:37:43 CDT 2006

For once, I have a genuine IDE related post :-)

I have found two * bugs * in the IDE.

In case anyone is interested, I am using the Metacard IDE exclusively
at the moment.  It makes my life much simpler and I have a lot of
work to do.

There is, however, a point of annoyance that occurs every day at the
beginning of the day.  I launch Metacard, and choose Open Stack from
the File menu.

And the window does not open to the same folder I was working in
yesterday.  My old Metacard handled this like a pro, as I will
demonstrate below.

The way I work is that a project has a  folder full of text files,
stacks, etc, and the folder is named:

100 Creator 9-17-06

As I go thru the day, I will save copies of this folder several
times.  So the up-a-level folder named Creator will be full of
folders with the above name, and appended Copy 1, Copy 2, etc.  The
stack I want to open is within this (the above) folder, which is the
working copy.

Tomorrow morning, I will moved all copies (Copy 1, Copy 2, etc) of
the folder to a Saves folder, and make a copy of the above folder
(which is the most updated version of it, no copies appended to the
name) and move it to Saves.  Then I will rename the folder:

100 Creator 9-18-06

I will launch Metacard and attempt to open a stack within this folder.

Obviously the folder has been renamed, which confuses Metacard 2.7.
It doesn't put any of the folders or stacks from the project into the
selection window.  And it does not even allow me to click thru a
heirachy from the windows in column view to search for the project.
I cannot use the column windows in Open Stack to go up a folder, or
use a scrollbar to move the heirarchy windows to the main folder that
houses the project.  I must use the option button at the top of the
window.

It did not used to confuse Metacard.  As a test I just launched the
"old" Metacard 2.4.3.  I have not opened any files with 2.4.3 from
this project in quite some time.  But when I choose Open Stack, it
goes straight to the folder 100 Creator 9-17-06, and gives me a list
of stacks within that folder to open!  It doesn't get confused about
the name change of the folder.  (The stack itself has not had a name
change.  Just the folder it is in.)

So this worked once upon a time in Metacard.  And doesn't work now.

I couldn't begin to guess what version of MC broke it, as my leap was
a pretty dramatic one :-)

This represents two separate issues.

1.  MC IDE bug:  That Open Stack in MC 2.7 on Mac OSX 10.4.7 does not
allow me to use the column view to drill upward thru the levels to
find something.  I must use the Option button above the column
windows to drill upward.  I tested this with the Rev IDE and the
column views work properly.  I can properly drill upward with the Rev
IDE.

2.  IDE or ENGINE bug:  That Open Stack in MC 2.7 cannot find the
most recent project opened once it has been renamed, which was a
feature that used to work okey dokey in MC.  I also tried with the
Rev IDE as I know that I at least opened the project in Rev a couple
times.  Same thing.  So this may be an engine issue or it may be an
IDE issue.  Dunno which.

Shari
--
Gypsy King Software