Epiphany...

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 1 23:06:30 CDT 2006

Shari wrote:

> The little watch started ticking.  It's going on 4 minutes and as far as
> I know, it is still building.  I think someone else mentioned this with
> the Rev IDE recently.  That it builds instantly with the MC IDE.

If you leave the default settings in place, Rev will scan your entire
stack to try and find the resources it should include. In large stacks
or those with long scripts, this can take a long time. To avoid this,
uncheck the box to scan for inclusions, and check the one that allows
manual inclusions. Then manually check off the items you want built into
your standalone; if you need the message box or ask/answer dialogs, for
example, include those. There is a list of Rev libraries at the right.
Since you haven't been using Rev yet, you don't need any of those
libraries so you can unhilite them all. The one exception for  you might
be the libURL library (I think Rev calls it the Internet library). This
needs to be specifically included if your scripts use any URL/internet
access calls.

> I have a question.  In the Rev IDE standalone builder it wants to know
> if I want to password protect any embedded stacks.  I've already done
> that manually.  So I did not do it again in the builder.  Will it strip
> the existing password if I don't tell it to password protect during the
> build?

No, it won't deal with passwords at all if you don't tell it to.

>  Is password protecting a stack that will be embedded now
> defunct, as it will be protected during the build if I specify so?

You can do it the way you are used to and it will work just as always.
However, I find it easier to let the standalone builder add it during
build time. That way I don't have to worry about unlocking the stack
every time I want to change something during development. I usually let
the SB do it.

> It finally topped out at 8 minutes and ended up with an error.  It
> apparently didn't build.  And didn't tell me why not :-(

It will tell you if it knows. One thing that will prevent a successful
build is if your stack doesn't have any extension in the file name.
Rename your stack "mystack.rev" and see how that works. Also, tell it to
put the build folder on the desktop. Don't build into your development
folder.

The existence of the ask/answer dialogs in your stack can also prevent a
successful Rev build. Try a build with a stack that doesn't contain those.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com