Good new features - Rev IDE

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Fri Sep 1 20:21:25 CDT 2006

>I'm enjoying following your discoveries in Revolution, Shari.  One
>of the things I recall missing in the Rev IDE a while back was the
>Control Browser.  This feature in Metacard was and continues to be
>the easiest way I know of to open the script of a grouped object.
>Without it I was a little put out in the Rev IDE.  Have you found an
>easy way to edit the scripts of grouped objects?
>
>Ray Horsley
>Developer, LinkIt! Software

Good to know I'm not boring everybody here :-)

I'm learning a new IDE.  I'm learning a new mouse (the Macintel comes
with a buttonless mouse, with two buttons hidden away, and depending
on where you click, you get one or the other of the buttons that you
cannot see.  I've always preferred a one-button mouse but I'm giving
it a chance.)  I'm learning a new OS.  Big changes all at once!

I also miss the Control Browser.  It was much easier to use than the
Application Browser in the Rev IDE.  So for that feature, MC gets the
point.

Right now I'm mostly doing point and click work.  Once I get back
into heavy duty script editing, we'll see which IDE wins out.

One thing that baffled me... I could not find detailed info on the
various preferences for building a standalone.  From what I could
tell, the documentation that comes with Rev is limited.  And one must
either buy, or download, additional documentation from various
sources.

I can understand this for in depth scripting.  But to explain what
the various menu items and preferences are, that should be built in
and easy to find.  I never did find full documentation for the
Standalone Application Settings.

Shari
Gypsy King Software
--