More about image timing

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Oct 22 20:38:27 CDT 2006

Brian Yennie wrote:
> If this is truly just a lock screen issue, wouldn't it stand to reason
> that the Rev IDE is slower because it has a lot more stacks open and
> affected? Or am I missing a crucial piece here?
>
> It would seem that having a bunch of extra stacks open (and in some
> cases visible, including the toolbar) could easily add 1 millisecond to
> every 10 loops of a screen altering script...?

Could be, though I suspended the development environment and the timing
was the same. I also only had one stack open. All the IDE stacks were
hidden (when I ran the test without suspending) but maybe the engine
checks them anyway.

After I posted, I downloaded Wilhelm's stack and tried that. His script
doesn't redraw the screen except for once right at the end of the
handler when it puts the data back into the image. Locking the screen
there made no difference in speed.

Then I commented out the entire guts of his handler and left only the
pieces that got the imagedata and set the imagedata. The repeat loop in
the middle did nothing but increment a counter, just so it had something
to do. The difference in speed was still apparent between MC and Rev.

I think that narrows it down in this case to setting imagedata (I think
Wilhelm said the same thing.) So I searched the revCommon library for
setprop handlers, but didn't notice anything relevant. Because he said
the behavior was the same in standalones, I didn't bother with any other
libraries.

So it's still a mystery. Both IDEs use the same engine, only the
revCommon handler is inserted in a Rev standalone and appears to be
harmless, and I can't think of anything else that's different. There
must be something, I just don't know what.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com