More about image timing

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Oct 22 15:43:09 CDT 2006

This is interesting. I thought I'd do a very quick, rough test. I wrote
a fast script:

on mouseUp
   put fld 1 into tPath
   put the milliseconds into tStart
   repeat 100
     set the filename of img "testImg" to ""
     set the filename of img "testImg" to tPath
   end repeat
   put the milliseconds - tStart
end mouseUp

I realize there aren't many repetitions in the repeat loop, but I just
wanted to get an idea. Just as Wilhelm says, in MC it took between 139
and 142 milliseconds. In Rev, the same script took about 159-161
milliseconds. So that's consistent with what he reports.

Then I added a lockscreen:

on mouseUp
   put fld 1 into tPath
   lock screen
   put the milliseconds into tStart
   repeat 100
     set the filename of img "testImg" to ""
     set the filename of img "testImg" to tPath
   end repeat
   put the milliseconds - tStart
   unlock screen
end mouseUp

The results were identical on both IDEs -- 45 milliseconds consistently
with no deviation.

I don't know what this means. The refresh rate of the screen appears to
vary, but I thought that was set in the engine. Locking the screen made
my test give identical results though.

I understand this is not conclusive. Just interesting.
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com