Speed differences between MC and Rev (problem area nearly found)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 12 14:52:19 CDT 2006

Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
> In the meantime I did further tests and built standalones for MC 2.6.5,
> 2.73, 2.74 and Rev 2.6.1, 2.73, 2.74. I tested 3 more scripts and also
> tested all scripts with a much larger image of 1600 X 1200.
> As before, no significant differences between stacks and standalones in
> MC and - also as before - a slight improvement for the Rev standalones
> compared to the Rev stacks, but a remaining difference to the MC
> equivalents of up to four seconds, and even one script where Rev runs
> *eleven* times slower than MC! See below.

Very valuable info for RunRev.  Thanks for taking the time to verify
that test.

> It now remains to be found out which script is responsible for this
> abject treatment of imagedata in Revolution, where this script is
> located, and how we can prevent its interference.

I'm wondering if it isn't script execution at all, but perhaps memory.
I can't think of any way your script could be affected by the mere
existence of other scripts, since your main handler is pretty well
self-contained (so "send" or other such things which might give RR's
scripts some chance to intercede).

I don't believe that the scripts RR's standalone maker insists on adding
to one's project are all that large, but perhaps in an intensive
environment such as your image processing script requires the difference
may be just enough to affect performance.

How much RAM is installed on your machine?

I'm grasping at straws here, but this is such an unexpected result that
as far as causes go it may be worth remaining open to possibilities
which may even seem unlikely.