Another MC-Rev anomaly: "text of image" property

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Tue Nov 7 10:02:55 CST 2006

Other details about imagedata, text of image, and paintcompression:

Saving the imagedata will not save the paintcompression format at the
same time. Resetting the image from the saved imagedata will change the
paintcompression of the image to the default global paintcompression.

Contrariwise, saving the imagetext ("text of image") *will* indeed save
the paintcompression format. No matter which global paintcompression
format is set afterwards, when the image is restored from its saved
imagetext, it will possess its original paintcompression.

Unfortunately, the text-of-image data cannot be manipulated in any
consistent way like the imagedata. At least, I did not find a way to do
that.
This means that the only possible use of  text-of-image could be storing
and restoring images (when RLE is *not* set as the paintcompression).-

As I already reported, when the paintcompression is set to "RLE" and you
save the imagetext and then restore the image from the imagetext two
things happen:

1. The alphadata are set to 0; the image becomes invisible

2. The image is still there, but its imagedata colors are reduced to one
monochrome color, which you can see when you change the alphadata back
to 255 - opaque.

I tested this also using a MC/Rev-scripted histogram function.

Maybe this feature - getting an invisible monochrome image when
imagetext is saved and reset with "RLE" - should be reported as a bug?.-

It would also constitute a valuable contribution to our discussion, when
someone from the Rev team would enlighten us, why they have chosen PNG
paintcompression as the default format for the Rev IDE and Rev
standalones - especially in the light of the fact that all imagedata
manipulation is slowed down considerably with the PNG format.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke