Another MC-Rev anomaly: "text of image" property

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Mon Nov 6 08:28:11 CST 2006

On Nov 5, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> I'm wondering if paintCompression should be set to RLE in Rev as
> well? The reason I ask is because JPG, RLE and GIF do not have
> gamma settings, but PNG does. In other words, a PNG graphic will
> look different on Mac than on PC's. Try this easy test:
>
> create a gray 128,128,128 square image in Photoshop.
>
> Save it as JPG, GIF and PNG
>
> Import them all into Rev on a PC. They all look the same. Then view
> the same stack on a Mac. The PNG image looks considerably lighter.
> This continues to be a problem when designing interfaces between
> the 2 platforms.

For me, using PNG images has a positive consequence. I use Fireworks
on the Mac to design my interfaces, which are typically covered head-
to-toe with graphics.  If I import calibrated-by-eye, perfectly
contrasted pngs into MC/Rev they appear much darker - even on the Mac
-  which is a rude awakening if I've been concentrating so much on
design that I've forgotten about gamma! I can set the Fireworks
window next to the Rev window on my Mac desktop and see the
difference. Either Fireworks is setting the PNG metadata so that Rev
displays it with Windows gamma, or Rev is using Windows gamma despite
Fireworks' setting. Either way, I'm getting Windows gamma on the Mac
in my user interface which means that its appearance is the same on
both platforms. And that's all I care about!

"But wait"! you say, "How can you design in one gamma for display in
the other?" No problem.  Fireworks has a "View Windows Gamma" menu
item that lets me design on the Mac while seeing Windows gamma. It
seems that in the past the situation was different - I used to
struggle with the disparity in gamma as Chip describes. But in the
last while (a year or two?) though a couple of version upgrades of
both Rev and Fireworks, the Windows gamma situation has worked in my
favor and I pray it never changes!

Tereza Snyder

    Califex Software, Inc.
    www.califexsoftware.com