Reporting Metacard Bugs

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun May 14 16:27:04 CDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

> Who is allowed to mess around with the engine anyway? I imagine it is
> protected and that only Rev engineers are allowed to, is that correct?

Yes, that's right. Runtime owns the engine and its source code. Any bugs
in the engine have to be fixed by them. The IDE, on the other hand, is
just a collection of stacks. The MC IDE is now open source, and we
occasionally change or update it. The Rev IDE is proprietary to Runtime
and they change those stacks.

> Interestingly, although I have only really played with MC Linux a little
> and not really tried developing an app, there is no sign so far of the
> kind of instability (e.g. unexpected crashes, the IDE getting stuck in a
> loop because it cannot decide which window to put at the front, etc.)
> that I have experienced in Rev. Does this mean anything other than the
> fact that the MC IDE is stable, but that the Rev IDE isn't? Or is it
> more complex than that?

That's some of it, which is why many of us use the MC IDE to find out
whether a particular bug is in the engine or not. MC is a good test bed
for the engine because the MC IDE has very few of its own behaviors and
pretty much runs the engine without interference. On the other hand,
some of the problems may well be in the engine and you just don't see
them in MC because the IDE doesn't happen to have the problem scripted
into it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com