Revolution is very slow to refresh fields. How can I speed it up?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Mar 30 07:38:26 CST 2006

On 3/30/06 6:03 AM, "Eric Colvin" <EricMColvin at telus.net> wrote:

> I¹ve just started playing with Revolution. I was an enthusiast for Hypercard
> in a previous life.
>
> One thing I¹ve hit upon early on that frustrates me a little.  Though
> Revolution is far newer, and ought to be faster since it loads into memory
> rather than writing to disk, I find it way slower at refreshing text fields
> than Hypercard ever was.

> Surely there must be some way I can persuade the field to refresh more
> frequently and and display everything put into the field?

Adding "unlock screen" in your repeat loops just before "end repeat" will
force an update after every number, but significantly slows down the loop
processing (seems to about double the time it takes). For example, without
the unlock screen, I get:

  54 : 6

With the unlock screen, I get:

  108 : 11

I'm just curious... for what reason would you need to do what you're asking
for? One of the reasons Rev is so fast is that it tries to minimize screen
updates as often as possible, so maybe backing up and explaining what you
need to do would help us provide a better solution.

Thanks,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/