Some afterthoughts concerning the enigma of "generic players"

Lynn lynn.fredricks at runrev.com
Wed Mar 1 12:08:53 CST 2006

> I mentioned this Player in recent posts (responding to you
> and Chipp, Feb 17 and 18) in the context of the discussion
> about "stackfileversions" and the building of standalones
> with version 2.7. I have no intention to propagate this
> player - it needs to be updated anyway -, his purpose is to
> provide another option for our students to view the sample
> stacks, but of course it is technically possible to open
> (m)any Rev stacks, provided either the Player or the stack
> contain the specific resources needed to run the stack.

Let me jump in on this. The license is the license, and although runtime
staff and employees may offer some interpretation, that interpretation
doesn't limit the actual written license.

If you create a player that can open any Rev stack other than your own, it
may be a violation of the license - but there is nothing stopping you from
putting reasonable limits into your software player to ensure that its only
used with your own software.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President