Some afterthoughts concerning the enigma of "generic players"

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Wed Mar 1 11:47:22 CST 2006

Trying to catch up on the discussions, I am happy to eventually find
Jacqueline's definition of a player (excuse the split infinitive):

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, "J. Landman Gay" jacque at hyperactivesw.com in thread
"Rev licensing - post factum rulings ???"
had written:

> The only change -- which isn't really a change, but is now being
> enforced -- is that you cannot create a generic player app that is
> distributed for the sole purpose of providing "player" capabilities for
> stacks unrelated to your own software.

Hi Jacqueline,

if your interpretation of the intentions of RunRev would be fully
endorsed by RunRev themselves (I take it you are near to the inner
circle of RunRev, but not actually a spokes(wo)man?), this would be
another step in the right direction.
The definition still leaves room for more interpretation, e.g. how do
you define "unrelated", but one could ask, why is the new policy
"enforced" at all and does this really  serve the "philosophy" of
"Revolution" and is it necessary for the commercial success of RunRev?
I'll  address aspects of this later.

> Aside from StackRunner (which is Ken Ray's product, not Richard's) no
> one else in the history of Revolution has ever created such an animal
> and no one else is affected.
>
> -- Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com HyperActive
> Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Given the ease with which it is possible to produce a player application
I had a different impression, which is also expressed at the beginning
of my web page <http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia/Samples.htm>:

> "Sample Applications
>
>  If not marked as "standalone", these sample stacks require either a
> player or one of the IDEs "Metacard" or "Revolution" (to page
> "Metacard/Revolution"). Various player applications are available from
> Revolution and Metacard users, as it is not difficult to create such
> an application. Revolution offers the "Dreamcard Player" for licensed
> users of the Dreamcard version of Revolution (because this version
> does not offer the possibility to create standalone applications).
>
> The player offered below is just one of many possible solutions.
>
> MC-Player (zip-file 883 K) Basic version of a player to open and save
> Metacard und Revolution files ("*.mc" und "*.rev") for offline use".

This Player has been sitting there on my website since I added the
"MetaMedia" part to my personal domain two years ago. It dates back to
pre-Revolution times and was formerly to be found on the public part of
the ftp-server of my institution, if you were able to navigate through
the maze of directories.

I mentioned this Player in recent posts (responding to you and Chipp,
Feb 17 and 18) in the context of the discussion about
"stackfileversions" and the building of standalones with version 2.7. I
have no intention to propagate this player - it needs to be updated
anyway -, his purpose is to provide another option for our students to
view the sample stacks, but of course it is technically possible to open
(m)any Rev stacks, provided either the Player or the stack contain the
specific resources needed to run the stack.

Applying your definition above, the player indeed does not have the
"sole purpose of providing "player" capabilities for
stacks unrelated to my own software".  In that sense it surely does not
fall in the "strange animal" category like Ken's Stackrunner, as you put
it above.--

When I stated on my website "Various player applications are available
from Revolution and Metacard users", I had also in mind as "players" in
a broader sense stacks like Richard Gaskin's "Go RevNet" that downloads
and runs a number of selected stacks (and if converted to a standalone
would constitute some kind of "player") and likewise stack "tmpanel" of
"Tactile Media", the player of the "Himalayan Academy" and others,
including also our "E-Learning" stack
(<http://www.sanke.org/Software/E-Learning.exe>) which we used during a
nation-wide e-learning conference at our university three years ago to
demonstrate - along with the above-mentioned stacks of Richard and
others - that it is possible to implement e-learning without the help of
net-browsers.

But above all my guess of other players being at least around (if not
immediately available) was based on the fact that it is quite simple to
put together an elementary generic player. All you need is a stack with
two buttons:

Button 1 contains the two script lines

"answer file "Choose a stack" with filter "*.mc;*.rev" # (for Windows)
  go to it",

button 2 will save the respective topstack.

You could add a third button using "ask file" if you want to provide the
option to save the stack under a different name.
Now turn this stack into a standalone. Everybody familiar with the very
basics of Metacard/Revolution is able to produce such a player in five
minutes.

You get an even more basic generic player (I mentioned that in my
response to Jacqueline on Feb 17) when you rename file "standalone" -
needed to build standalones in versions 2.7 of MC and Rev - to
"MyWonderfulGenericPlayer" or whatever and add an ".exe" extension; now
you can drag any stack on that filename and it will be opened.-

A wide variety of generic players is possible, differing in the amount
of resources that are contained in the player itself or - on the other
hand - required as embedded resources in the stacks to be launched.
Ken's Stackrunner is far more sophisticated in that sense, compared to
the old Player on my website, which contains only the answer and
ask-dialogs, the Metacard icons, substack "file selector", the cursors,
message box, substack "execution error", stack "libURL" (not needed in a
non-web application) etc..

The DreamCard Player was clumsy and overloaded - and therefore rather
big - when it was released. I criticized that at the time pointing out
simpler solutions, and got flamed for that.

An "all-purpose" player would need to include all possible resources for
any kind of stacks, meaning including all libraries, dlls, i.e. about
half or more of the whole IDE and its supplementary stacks.
What is certainly important is to strike a sound balance between putting
resources into the player or the stacks. Happily, users of the MC IDE
can use the "Resource Mover" to put needed resources into a stack, but -
as Rev users need to do if they are not building a standalone - there is
of course the extra option to manually transfer resources.--

There are a number of situations where some kind of a generic player is
indispensable, one reason being the size of MC and Rev standalones.
Exe-files in other programming languages contain only the directly
required elements. Such files created with Turbo Pascal or Delphi are
rather small. Even with one of the other X-Talk languages, e.g.
"Toolbook", you can get relatively small executables.
We handle this problem for part of our language students as follows: The
students get a restricted generic player, capable of  running stacks
with a specific extension other than "mc" or "rev". Thus we are flexibly
able to provide for download and learning stacks of small size that can
be easily updated or we can even add new stacks with different filenames.-

Coming back to the question of the "enforcement" of a new policy.
Let us imagine someone produces a generic player and even sells it as a
commercial application you have to pay for. How could that possibly hurt
RunRev in any way if they offer an even "free" player? As RunRev does
not "sell" their player, how could an alternative player impair them? An
alternative player would possibly show the variety of solutions feasable
with such wonderful X-talk languages and therefore support and promote
the distribution and acceptance of Metacard/Revolution - and not
excluding the possibility that the RunRev team may even gain new
insights from solutions they could not bring about at the moment,
because there are so many tasks at hand to be solved. Every creative
effort from other members of the Rev community should be honored and is
a possible contribution to improvement.-

A last remark: At some place of the discussion I remember the new
"Media" brand of Revolution was mentioned as one reason to introduce a
restricted player policy(?). We do not yet know much about "Media", as
it is not yet released (although you can already pay for it), so I have
to reserve judgment here. But if this really is the underlying issue and
it is really important to set "Media" definitely apart from "Studio",
"Dreamcard" etc. - which I cannot imagine why in terms of running such
stacks - then it must be easy to configure "Media" and its player in
such a way that other generic players produced with other brands of
Revolution cannot open and run Media stacks.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>