MC IDE: Passing the Poohbah torch and more (Richard Gaskin)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 22 22:07:48 CDT 2006

Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:

 > Also it seems Richard's famous "StripAndShip" handler  was not
 > applied to standalone builder SubStack and it still shows path
 > to "area 51"  :)
 >
 >  "/Users/richardgaskin/Area51/...."

I applied the mcStripAndShip, but I hadn't updated that handler to
automatically clean out the Standalone Builder.  I used to do that
manually, but as a favor to Winnie the Poohbah I just added that to
mcStripAndShip.

 >> The message box size is too small for me to read comfortably. I've
 >> already changed it in my own copy, but thought I'd mention it here to
 >> see if the majority wants it to ship the old way or the new way. I'm
 >> okay with just changing my own copy with each release if other people
 >> like it as-is.
 >
 > Interesting. I can't see any change in msg box size between B12 and
 > RC1 but I didn't replace my Home stack if it makes any difference
 > (don't remember right now from which stack the msg box default size
 > comes from)

The Home stack shouldn't matter, but just the same I've cleared the font
settings from the Message Box in the MC IDE (but I've left them in my
personal customized copy <g>).

 > Speaking about sizes, I'm always changing the fonts and button
 > sizes in new MC IDE builds to accommodate to OS standards.
 >
 >  For OS 9 the standard font  is Geneva 10 and button size is
 > w= 95 and h= 22
 >  For OS X the standard font is Lucida Grande 11 and button size is w =
 > 82 and h= 23
 >  For Win the standard font is Tahoma 11, don't remember standard
 > button sizes
 >
 > So, may be it makes sense to put a small handler in PreOpenStack  of
 > "mctools.mc" and "mchelp.mc" that would set the textfont and textsize
 > of this stacks according to OS standards?
 >
 > This way substacks   like "properties" or "control browser" would
 > inherit TextFont and TextSise of the main stack and would look much
 > better on all platforms.
 >
 > Concerning default object sizes (when you create a new object) Rev has
 > it done very nicely in "Preferences / Object sizes"
 > May be Klaus would consider to add such tab to MC IDE preferences
 > stack and make it optional ?
 >
 > That's one of few features I personally like in Rev ID and I'm
 > imitating it by setting default sizes in  "on NewButton", "On
 > NewField" etc in script of stack Home.

This raises a question:  To what degree should we consider enhancing the
MC IDE?

There was originally a mandate of minimal change, and it may be good to
maintain that.  On the other hand, as long as each release addresses all
known bugs and enhancements are approved by the crew here, is there any
harm is making it less ugly? :)

 > Also,   just to remind so this would not be lost in transition period :)
 > ...  RC1 has libURL vs  1.1.4 and Dave Gragg posted vs 1.1.6 at
 >
 > " http://www.lacscentre.co.uk/liburl/releases.html"

I just updated it for RC2.

Thanks for the report.

  Managing Editor, revJournal