Rev licensing

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 20 21:39:25 CST 2006

Alain Farmer wrote:

> My customers don't want to know what I've used. In the
> worst-case, they don't want to be bothered yet insist
> on some particular tools because they have heard & so
> on that these tools are the ones that serious outfits
> are using. PHP versus MetaCard comes to mind; at least
> to mine because the school commission I developed a 5
> stack MetaCard solution for, in 2004, switched over to
> PHP for no better reason than "PHP is known to us ; we
> are not familiar with MetaCard & we don't know anyb

But that's just the point, see. Every web page that is done with PHP is
labeled that way, it has ".php" at the end of the URL. The tag is
everywhere. People who don't know beans about PHP still recognize the
letters as a buzzword, and know they are supposed to want it. I would
like Rev to have the same recognition. We can help by acknowledging them
in our software.

> I definitely don't want to flash an advertisement of
> Rev because it will confuse them. I would be willing
> (if ever I upgrade to Rev) to include Rev's copyright
> notice in *MY* splash-screen; and I would definitely
> include them in the About, and other docs too; what's
> contentious is using Rev's splash & player instead of
> my own CUSTOM one .. with graphics and such that are
> relevant to my company and my customers.

No, you've misunderstood. You can use all our own stacks, you don't need
to advertise Runtime, you just need to put the copyright notice and
acknowledgement into your splash, or your about box, or whatever your
software uses to show your own copyright. You still keep all your own
branding and images. Just add the required notice somewhere.

Also, even though you may be using the MC IDE, you are still using the
Revolution engine and need to meet the licensing requirements.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com