Rev licensing

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Feb 19 17:26:10 CST 2006

Shari wrote:
<snipping liberally>
> You are right, I do not miss what I don't know exists.  The reason I
> will upgrade is not for new features, as I have no idea if any of the
> new features will benefit me.  I suspect that most new features are of
> more benefit to those who build business software or web software, than
> games.

One major set of improvements in 2.7 is the support for some pretty
incredible image manipulation and display options. Seems like that would
be useful for games.

> I do not know how my MC stacks
> will run in Rev, or look in Rev, etc.

They should look identical. It's the same engine. If you decide you
don't want to use Rev's interface you can continue to stick with the MC
IDE. There aren't any significant backward-compatibility problems. The
main change in this release is the file format change, which would
prevent you from opening your stacks in earlier versions. One way around
that would be to continue to use your older version for maintenance on
your existing stacks and only start new projects in 2.7. That would
avoid any problems. Once you know you are happy with 2.7, you can move
everything over to it if you want.

> However, all that aside, with the new Macintels out I am assuming that
> this is much like when OSX came out.  For awhile you can still use your
> old software but new software should be built to run natively on
> Macintel.  And for that, I would need a Rev that built native Macintel
> standalones.  Which is what I am waiting for in order to upgrade.  And
> why I believe that upgrading is now necessary.

No question, you're right about this.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com