Rev licensing

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Feb 19 08:51:21 CST 2006

Howdy all y'all, as they say in the South :-)

>You can't miss something you never had! IOW, I'm doing
>fine with MetaCard 2.5 .. I don't really feel the need
>to 'upgrade' to Rev. Apparently.. Rev has improved the
>web stuff,,. this is kind-of tempting. They now have a
>lib for doing XML-RPC = pretty cool!, but is it enough
>to justify the cost (likely); or, more grievosuly, the
>change in licencing terms? More on this after the next
>two quotes.
>
>>  Jacque: However, the licensing requirements
>>  in 2.7 have changed and it is no longer
>>  legal to build a custom player.
>
>>  Kevin (paraphrased): It *never* was legal
>>  to build a custom player.

You are right, I do not miss what I don't know exists.  The reason I
will upgrade is not for new features, as I have no idea if any of the
new features will benefit me.  I suspect that most new features are
of more benefit to those who build business software or web software,
than games.

In addition, upgrading is scary.  Every new version that comes out
seems to spawn a whole flurry of new bugs, so the chatter on this
list leads me to believe, and it could break something that I've
created that is now running just fine.  I do not want to spend a lot
of time moving programs forward that weren't broken.  I dread
importing my current projects into Rev for that reason.  My game
Blackjack Gold requires months of testing to go out the door if
anything major changes, and upgrading to Rev would be a major change.
I do not know how my MC stacks will run in Rev, or look in Rev, etc.

However, all that aside, with the new Macintels out I am assuming
that this is much like when OSX came out.  For awhile you can still
use your old software but new software should be built to run
natively on Macintel.  And for that, I would need a Rev that built
native Macintel standalones.  Which is what I am waiting for in order
to upgrade.  And why I believe that upgrading is now necessary.

>ANY proprietary software these days! I am, or perhaps
>was, considering upgrading to Rev (at last!) but I'm
>thrown-off by their [draconnian] licencing terms; in
>particular their [new] restriction against creating
>custom standalones .. ouch!  Say it ain't so .. Joe,
>please .. say it ain't so .. here's hoping that this
>restriction only applies to the lesser licences, e.g.
>that the "Enterprise" licence, for example, allows for
>the crafting of custom players. What say you, Kevin?
>Please clarify your licencing terms, as well as their
>SCOPE, so that we can make an informed decision as to
>whether it's advisable for us to upgrade to Rev [2.7]
>or not.

I do not understand this.  What is different?  I know folks have been
discussing something about players, but it sounded more like an issue
for those who wanted to create a competing program to Rev.

In other words, I did not connect this to what I create, which are
programs that have a standalone, and usually several separate stacks
that go with it.  Is there something that would affect my standalones
in some way?

Shari

--
Mac and Windows shareware games