MC 2.7

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Thu Feb 16 23:35:59 CST 2006

> xavier.bury at clearstream.com wrote:
> > opening MC made tools in terminal services or metaframes where the
> > bitdepth is not 24/32 creates horrible unpredicable color
> changes at
> > any time - while this is ok for administrative tools which
> only i use,
> > it can't be ok for enterprise users.
>
> MC is just an IDE, a bunch of stacks.  The engine is the same
> as Rev's, and always has been.

which is "precisely" why im not convinced the extra-rev weight is going
to help... let me explain

- a big problem is opening stacks cross-networks (in our ultra-secure
firewalled/virtual-lan switched multi-speed network with AV all over which I
cannot turn off) and cross-domain (multi-forest AD architecture) I observe
latencies saving a stack where 250KBs of stack saved takes the same time to
copy a 15 meg file (same machine, same source/target).

This problem alone means I have to either create standalones or replicate
locally to a server an MC IDE + stacks to have a normal running environment
across one or the servers I use.

I many cases, I can't even open MC.exe across the network as I could before
the FWs and AD domains were implemented. Since then if I try to open rev 'as
I did' cross the EMC NAS file-server to a metaframe or RDP connection, 95%
of the time, the IDE crashes. I suspect the timeout problem - but I don't
have the time to chase all these bugs at work.

The IDE engine updates without the rev GUI have worked perfectly - "except"
for:
- this color problem I keep mentioning
- crashes on network loss or file read timeouts (confirmed hopefully today
in our 2nd test of the centera HSM archival migration tests for some 8TBs).

> So either your MC installation has an outdated version of the
> engine, or there's a global property set differently in your
> Rev installation which is causing colors to display better.

ALL my mc installations are affected. From 1.2 to 2.6.1. I've updated IDE
and MC-GUIs each time to make sure I have the latest.

Make a gui in a 24 bit display, go to see it on a remote network
terminal-type 8 or 16 bit display like metaframe or RDP (remote desktop
prot.) in any windows (NT4 or newer) server version. Just open the MC ide to
the intro screen look horrible. Open the colors palette, again...

> If you find a bug in the MC IDE which can help correct for
> this please let me know.

Richard, with all the good will in the world, I try to report bugs or find
work arounds. For the MC 2.6b12, I reported you the same day a number of
issues which you still haven't confirmed - no, no hurry req.!!! ;)

In 6 years, I haven't found solutions to the above problems except running
things locally (which complicates lots of update procedures) and bear with
the colors. I've reported the colors lots of times, each time im told it's a
driver problem - note that ONLY rev has these problems... Quering our win
guru resulted in a clear reason which is being avoided by MC or Rev since
99. MC and Rev don't use the API palettes or don't adapt the palette to the
color mode or emulated mac patterns??? I don't know.

I use colored guis to make sure I don't do the wrong thing in the wrong
panel sometimes. I switch to and from the environment and hop, all colors go
crazy (sometimes it comes back, but seldom)... Since images are affected, I
don't use images at all in these apps.
- not necessary for my admin tools eithers.
- The color changes happen nearly every day in the past 6 years.

The only solution is making boring image-less grey GUIs.

The network latencies are not exactly rev's fault but some swapping seems to
occur that I can't explain that is causing freezes for 2-5 or more seconds
when the disk/net is accessed to save, open, etc (just those file operations
can drive you mad). Im not free enough time wise to start net traces. I've
avoided the problem since there's the chances of crashes too.

Adding the enterprise rev extras compared to MC's is definitely not going to
help no matter how much eye candy they put in. I'll try to make some
screenshots for you...

cheers
Xavier