Happy Time of Year

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sat Dec 23 08:20:00 CST 2006

Hugh,

The U.S. is starting their battles in this arena as well.  Our
megastore Walmart who stopped saying Merry Christmas, instead moving
to Happy Holidays.  The majority of their customers were so unhappy
that they had to put it back.  But it's the beginning of the
ending... I'm sure the battle will rage on in years to come...

Following is a news story about the Bring Back of Christmas to Walmart.

Shari

>>  BEGIN NEWS STORY <<

Anti-PC backlash forces Walmart to bring back Christmas
By Philip Sherwell, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 1:28am GMT 17/12/2006

For American shoppers, a once-familiar refrain is making a surprise comeback.
In a reversal of policy, the retail giant Walmart has told staff that
they can greet customers with "Merry Christmas" rather than having to
wish them, blandly, "Happy Holidays".
The country's largest private employer has also cocked a snook at
political correctness by re-embracing Christmas in its advertising,
restoring the word to its merchandise and piping carols through its
stores.
It was forced into its rethink last year when the Catholic League, a
powerful lobby group, organised a boycott because Walmart was
promoting the Jewish holiday of Hannukah and the invented black
festival of Kwanzaa, but not Christmas.
When the company told a meeting of 7,000 store managers in the autumn
that it planned to refer to Christmas "early and often", the room
erupted with cheers, a spokesman said. "We believed it was the right
thing to do. Our customers and staff have told us they are very glad
we did it."
Christmas has become an annual battleground in America's culture
wars. Several years of over-zealous political correctness, combined
with the constitutional separation of church and state, led to
regular clashes over the use of Christmas symbols and phrases - even
though 83 per cent of Americans identify themselves as Christian.
It took a consumer backlash and financial threat for Walmart to see
seasonal sense. "Hats off to Walmart," said Keira McCaffrey, the
communications director of the Catholic League. "They said they had
learned their lessons from customers and they have listened."
She believes that the tide is slowly turning as frustrated Americans
start to reclaim Christmas. At Seattle airport, officials reinstated
14 plastic Christmas trees last week after they were inundated with
calls complaining about their removal after a rabbi threatened to sue
the airport.
Matt Blunt, the Missouri governor, declared: "No state employee will
be reprimanded or in any way disciplined for saying 'Merry
Christmas'." But elsewhere, the Christmas lobby have suffered
setbacks and several big stores still insist on the "Happy Holidays"
greeting.
In Chicago, the distributors of the hit film, The Nativity Story,
were told to remove their advertising from a Christmas market on
government property, because it breached the separation between
church and state. In the small New York state town of Warwick, a
school faces legal action over its annual "Breakfast with Santa"
fund-raiser after a parent complained that the popular event, held on
a Saturday and completely optional, offends non-Christians because it
includes a visit from Santa Claus. The headmaster's offer to dress up
as Frosty the Snowman failed to deter an attorney's threatening
letter.
Christian organisations promoting public displays of Christmas this
year have drawn solace from a new consumer poll that found 95 per
cent of Americans were not upset by "Merry Christmas" - but 46 per
cent took offence at "Happy Holidays".

--
Gypsy King Software
Mac and Windows shareware games