Unknown Publisher warnings

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Mon Dec 11 10:11:42 CST 2006

On Dec 9, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Shari wrote:

>>> Does anyone know how to make the Win XP Security Warning
>>> ("Unknown Publisher") go away?
>
> Yes, but there's a price tag.  This fellow explains it pretty well:
>
> http://www.michaellawson.com/?p=14

Evidently, this rigamarole is part of the security apparatus for IE
7! And all I'm doing is running my app from my own Mac Mini server on
my own local network!

So how does it work with a Rev/MC application? What is it that you
(the Rev/MC developer) do? How is it applied to, or included in, an
exe? Does it expire every year on published software (it's a yearly
license, $100-$400 per year for the developer - but it is
incorporated (somehow) in the code of an application - and I presume
that once "digitally signed", the application stays "signed" forever;
but why would a developer have to keep renewing? or is that just the
price of keeping with the program?) Either way, it feels to me like
extortion!

Not that I could afford it,

Tereza Snyder

    Califex Software, Inc.