Holy moley! First test of Revolution versus Metacard

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Aug 31 21:51:27 CDT 2006

Shari wrote:

> The stack opens.  But the Revolution IDE does not like that I have
> standard stacks installed in the stack.  (For ease of Standalone
> building, a long time ago I installed custom versions of Ask, Answer,
> Message etc. in the stack so that I would not have to import them every
> time I built a standalone.)  The Message box in particular gives it
> fits.

Actually, MetaCard has exactly the same problem, but it doesn't put up
any warning about it. It is generally a bad idea to embed the message
box or other IDE stacks, because you can't have two stacks open with the
same name. The engine gets really, really confused when you do that. Rev
tries to protect you from that.

MetaCard ignores the fact that you have two message boxes open (and
earlier versions of Rev did too,) but if you edit one of them, it can
easily be the wrong one. The engine doesn't distinguish between the two
and will operate on whichever one it happens to notice first. Unless you
supply a full path to the stack every time you edit, you can't be sure
the right one has focus.

Rev warns you ahead of time, but you can cancel the warning and continue
if you want.

   I could not determine whether my password protections were still
> in place.  (The Message Box errors seemed to override most of what I
> tried to experiment with.)

You can type in the message box:

   the password of this stack

and you'll see the encoding. But in Rev, it is a better idea not to
manually assign passwords for stacks you plan to release as standalones.
The standalone builder can assign the password when it builds, leaving
your stack free and clear during development. The standalone builder
also adds the message box, ask/answer dialogs, and many other libraries
and files if you say you want them. You can also tell it to copy over
external files or stacks of your choosing; they will appear in the
application's folder as separate files, ready to ship.

Another feature I've really come to appreciate is the built-in error
reporting for standalones. That last pane allows you to put in your
email address, and if a user gets an error, a dialog will appear with a
description of the engine error and a place for them to add comments,
and any boilerplate you want to add. When they click "Send" it opens up
their email client and lets them send you the error report. The neat
thing about this is that if you include it during development builds,
you can read the error in your own email client. It's a handy way to
debug standalones.

I like that my stacks remain clear of debris at all times, while all the
files and features I want still get put into the build.

> Overall it was rather confusing, not having a clue how to approach
> things that are second nature to me.  There were so many standalone
> options, and I could not tell if it recognized any of my presettings,

Basically, you have to set things up once. After that, the settings
dialog will remember and you can check on the feature's status there.
The standalone settings dialog uses a few custom properties in your
stack to store your choices. It doesn't read the stack on the fly;
you'll have to tell it the first time so it knows.

  it
> was very confusing.  I assumed that once familiar with it, standalones
> would be easier to build as there appeared to be more presettings that
> could be set.

Yes. That's why I like it.

> But at this time, too much confusion, so I opened the happy stack in the
> newly created Metacard 2.7 IDE.
>
> Familiarity returned.  No weird errors regarding things I have
> pre-installed.

There are only a few stacks that cause the warning. The ask/answer
dialogs and the message box are the only ones I can think of offhand.
The easiest way to deal with it is to remove those stacks from your
mainstack in MetaCard, using the Components pane in the stack info
dialog. Then bring the stack over to Rev and it will open as easily as
it does in MC now. If you want to remove them in the Rev IDE instead,
you'll have to type. Make sure you enter the long name of the stack when
you do the delete:

   delete stack "message box" of stack "myStack"

or else the engine may delete the IDE message box.

> I really was looking forward to working in Revolution itself.  But at
> least for existing, finished projects, it's a good thing I can work in
> the familiar IDE.

I made the move slowly. There's a lot in there, and some of it is really
handy. Pick one component at a time and play with it. For example, play
with the message box for a day. Besides the standard 1-line box, you can
have multiple lines. I very much like the message box lists of pending
messages, frontscripts, backscripts, and the easy way you can access
them for editing. I always forget it's there, but I think the lists of
current global properties could be pretty handy too.

Another problem for me in MC is knowing at a glance which stack is
currently the default. Rev puts that up for display in the message box,
so you always know which stack will be the target.

> Perhaps I can try working on my new project in Revolution, and work on
> existing projects in Metacard.  The new project should be in the early
> enough stages not to send it into spasms.

That would be a good way to ease in. Though there aren't really any
spasms involved; you just happened to hit a warning that MC should
probably have too. Next time you can dismiss it if you want, the engine
behavior will be the same; i.e., iffy.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com