First impression of Revolution IDE

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Aug 31 15:26:52 CDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Rev-based IDEs address an ultra-tiny market that's already fragmented as
> it is.  I still can't get much work done in Rev, and I hear most of my
> clients curse as they use it, but if there's only three or four of us
> still using MC it does rather raise questions about the effort.

I think more people than you suspect still use it. But since we don't
need to expend much effort, it doesn't hurt to keep it going.  As far as
I can see, the MC IDE will go away when there are no longer any people
willing to maintain it. We don't need to make any decisions.

For the record, I still use MC for virtually all layout and design,
because it is much faster and easier than in Rev. After the stack is
built and scripted, I generally move to Rev for testing, tweaking, and
standalone building. Best of both worlds.

I feel that MC has a much easier and useful control browser, property
inspector, and set of keyboard shortcuts. This makes MC preferable for
layout and building tasks; Rev slows me down too much. I think Rev's
message box and standalone builder are superior to MC's, so I move over
there for testing and building standalones. I prefer Rev's handler list
at the left of the script editor over MC's popdown menu, but I hate how
it stores text styles, so it's a toss-up there.

For me, they both have strong points and weaknesses, and I've figured
out how to use each to my advantage so that I get the best of both.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com