room for an open source alternative

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 13:36:41 CDT 2006

Hello Richard and y'all,

> ... so it would seem there would be room
> for an open source alternative -- maybe.

Hear! Hear!  ;-))

We are on the same wavelength in this regard.  :)

As you all know, I'm making steady progress towards
this goal, e.g. an open-source multi-platform xCard
that takes advantage of all the relevant Web [2.0]
standards, and so on. Yup! I speak of "XulCard". :-)

Its 'File Format' is completed. Exporting from HC to
XulCard is hours away from completion. Running this
exporter on all of the stacks of the HC-Pantechnicon
will provide me|us with LOTS of 'data' (*stacks* and
etc). This data can be used immediately via existing
RDF [client] programs and APIs. Ex: myPiggyBank ....

The next BIG step towards my goal of an open-source
web-centric xCard will be to create the server-side
engine of XulCard; basically an RDF-parser that can
read/write/etc the RDF-data of XulCard's file-format
and, of course, the interactions between the server
and its clients (HTTP, XML-RPC, AJAX, etc.).

> ... for an open source alternative ...

In my view, XulCard won't be an "alternative" to Rev
because Rev is desktop-based while OTOH XulCard will
be entirely web-centric. I surrender the Desktop to
Rev! Let's be *complimentary* :-))

Next update : weeks|months from now. I don't want to
inundate this Rev-centric list with 'off-topic' self
promoting marketing schlick!  ;-)

Over and out,  :)

Alain F.