First impression of Revolution IDE

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 31 09:31:59 CDT 2006

Shari wrote:
> As for the Revolution IDE itself, I am impressed with the changes since
> the last time I looked at it.  They have definitely refined it a lot.
> It is more concise than it was.  Not as spread out.
>
> Everything you do does not open yet another window :-)
>
> I must go off to the icky work today.  So I cannot look further.
> Tomorrow I intend to simply just work in it on the new project.  That
> should be interesting!
>
> I need to get on the Revolution list so that I don't dilute this list
> with wrong questions.  There will be questions... :-)

It would be interesting to learn of anything you find there that's
attractive.  MC is getting old, and the more they make radical changes
to the engine the harder it is to set up.  We can easily fix the setup
stuff, but as my last question here was asking who wants a simpler setup
and it went unreplied perhaps there's my answer on how much interest
there is in this at all.

Then again, we read of many complaints about the Rev IDE on the main
list, and Galaxy/Consellation has quite a few followers, so it would
seem there would be room for an open source alternative -- maybe.

Rev-based IDEs address an ultra-tiny market that's already fragmented as
it is.  I still can't get much work done in Rev, and I hear most of my
clients curse as they use it, but if there's only three or four of us
still using MC it does rather raise questions about the effort.