Bugzilla question

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Aug 27 13:39:16 CDT 2006

>Thousands of us use png images routinely and there have been no
>reports of problems with them that I am aware of. They are very
>standard objects in Rev stacks. I have worked with stacks containing
>thousands of images without any trouble.
>
>Scanning through Bugzilla can be enlightening, but you shouldn't
>base your purchasing decisions on the results you find there.
>Bugzilla was short-staffed for a long time, and lots of reports just
>never got updated as they were fixed. The team is now slowly working
>through the back issues in the database, but there are still holes.
>
>My personal feeling is that you are way too worried, that the types
>of games you produce use features that have been well tested by many
>people, and that you won't have any trouble. I still think you
>should just download the trial and open one of your stacks with it.
>That will tell you far more than any trip through Bugzilla.
>
>--
>Jacqueline Landman Gay

Jacques,

Thank you for this.  Yes, it has been a bit worrisome.  And I had
wondered if the database just had not been well updated.  I know that
many of you work every day in Rev, and produce products for final
sale.  So it did not make sense to assume that the bug list was still
as active as it appeared to be.  That is why I asked.

I did make a list of bugs that would affect what I do, so that I can
specifically look at those areas when I move a project into Rev.  I
know that the last full beta test I did took 6 months, with several
testers.  And even then bugs got thru.  Testers generally test what
they want most to use.  If the feature doesn't appeal to them, they
ignore it :-)

I cannot personally do another full beta of existing projects.  So I
will have to rely on others doing most of the beta test for me.  I
thought if I knew up front what bugs might affect existing projects,
it would make the transition easier.  I could at least target those
areas myself, and let beta testers do the rest.  Also, some of the
bugs reported included workarounds, if the bug hasn't been squashed
yet.  Very useful info :-)

I know my current Metacard has bugs that I've learned to work around.
But when the bugs first jumped out at me, it was a bugger trying to
figure out how to deal with them.  Sometimes you guys were helpful,
other times I muddled around for a long time looking for a
workaround.  Bugzilla is a very useful tool.  Much cleaner than
searching mailing list archives.

Not looking forward to learning a new set of workarounds though,
LOL!  Change is hard!

Although the switch to the new Macintel has been a breeze.  Easier
than anticipated :-)  Perhaps Rev will be the same way...

(Floating along in a happy Macintel place... :-D

Shari
--
Mac and Windows shareware games
http://www.gypsyware.com