Bugzilla question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Aug 27 12:06:37 CDT 2006

Shari wrote:

> For example, bug 1413 relating to .png imported files was reported on
> 3-23-04 if I'm reading it correctly, and is still marked as NEW, with a
> severity of MINOR, and a target date of ---.
>
> The last comment made was in December 2004, Reassign.
>
> So the bug appears to be unresolved.  I use .png's a LOT.  There will be
> thousands of them in my Project In Development.  So this one jumped out
> at me.  I had found them to be much easier to work with than .gif's.

You need to read the bug carefully. This bug apparently only happens
with grayscale images created by an HP scanner. Pngs produced in other
ways did not cause an error, and Dar had to upload a specific example
before the problem could be verifed. This particular issue applies to so
few people that it was re-assigned as "minor". It also happened back in
version 2.2, and images have been completely reworked since then. What
most likely happened is that Marcus forgot to close the bug after the
imaging engine was rewritten.

Thousands of us use png images routinely and there have been no reports
of problems with them that I am aware of. They are very standard objects
in Rev stacks. I have worked with stacks containing thousands of images
without any trouble.

Scanning through Bugzilla can be enlightening, but you shouldn't base
your purchasing decisions on the results you find there. Bugzilla was
short-staffed for a long time, and lots of reports just never got
updated as they were fixed. The team is now slowly working through the
back issues in the database, but there are still holes.

My personal feeling is that you are way too worried, that the types of
games you produce use features that have been well tested by many
people, and that you won't have any trouble. I still think you should
just download the trial and open one of your stacks with it. That will
tell you far more than any trip through Bugzilla.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com