What is version 2.7?

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Wed Aug 23 07:00:28 CDT 2006

>If you followed the improve-rev list discussion you'd see some of
>the issues that were discussed re. v2.7, v2.7.1, and v2.7.2, esp.
>with regard to QuickTime and some other areas, as noted by Trevor
>and others.  True enough, these didn't affect all customers, but if
>you needed the affected features you were hosed.  The QT issue is
>said to be fixed in v2.7.3, but I haven't verified it myself not
>heard from anyone who'd voted for that issue.

I am not on any list but Discussions on Metacard at the moment.
Quicktime would have DEFINITELY affected me.  The only bugs that
jumped out at me were ones that would affect me :-)  And there were
several mentioned.

Sometimes I feel as if I'm in a different category than most
Metacard/Revolution users.  I think primarily others are focused on
business apps and utility type apps.  And most appear to have
businesses that are easier to make a living with :-)  I create
shareware games.  Which are HARD to make a living from.  (I don't
make a living with the shareware... I must supplement with a part
time job at an accounting firm...)  But games are where my heart lies.

I know that the new incarnations of Rev have game plugins or
something.  I saw something on the website the other day about it.
But I don't know how many game developers have actually migrated to
Rev.  I never hear game discussions on this list.  So I've sort of
figured that the primary feature requests that Rev gets are more
business app oriented.  Ditto for bugs.  I don't know if every
reported bug gets fixed in the next version or if there is a
heirarchy.  If there is a heirarchy then, mine might not top the list.

I just want to ensure that the version I migrate to doesn't break
what I've already created, or stick a major monkey wrench into the
primary project I am focused on.  You really have to plan carefully
when bug fixes don't come with the purchase.

I know I probably sound like a pain in the patootie :-)  I've heard
it said that the time to do your worrying is BEFORE you place your
bet.  Once you lay your bet down and they spin the wheel, then you
should just be sitting back and enjoy the game.  Sounds good to me :-)

I give lifetime free upgrades to my games.  So if someone does
experience a bug, they know they can upgrade to a newer version that
doesn't have the bug.  But if the bug comes from within the compiler,
then I'm sunk.  I'll be flooded with unhappy emails from people
demanding refunds because this or that does not work, and I won't be
able to fix it for them and make them happy again.

Because they can get games anywhere, my clientele tends to have high
expectations.  Shareware development has a whole different approach
then what most of you probably do.  One bug, and they'll post it all
over the internet on every download site in big letters, giving me a
one star rating.  Everybody else who is thinking of downloading me
will read that rating and move right on to somebody else's game.

So for me, getting into the right version is critical.

I am serious about making this business pay for itself and become my
sole living.  I despise those days at the accounting firm, even
though they are very good to me and treat me well and pay me well.
They are great people.  They have many times offered me to come full
time.  But I hate those days.  It isn't what I want to do.  At almost
50, I am feeling the pressure of trying to get this thing to really
take off.  My husband gets frustrated sometimes with it.  He is so
very good.  But he knows if I quit shareware, I could go work full
time and make a LOT more money.  That is hard for him.  He carries
the bigger load because of it.  Working at a "job", plus attempting
to build a business that I genuinely love,  plus just living life...
it's HARD!  And not being twenty with 50 years in front of me, makes
it HARDER.

So please forgive my pain in the patootiness  :-)

Shari

--
Mac and Windows shareware games
http://www.gypsyware.com