What is version 2.7?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 23 00:31:10 CDT 2006

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Shari wrote:
>
>> I was more concerned that folks were experiencing difficulties with
>> version 2.7 versus 2.6.  As I will not be able to update, if there are
>> any bugs that might really make me miserable, it would be better for
>> me to have a version that is a bit happier.  Unless whatever the
>> issues were have been already addressed?
>
> There weren't any serious issues, people were just confused about the
> new file format. Others didn't like the new Media edition, but it wasn't
> because of bugs. I don't think you have anything to worry about and are
> unnecessarily concerned.

If you followed the improve-rev list discussion you'd see some of the
issues that were discussed re. v2.7, v2.7.1, and v2.7.2, esp. with
regard to QuickTime and some other areas, as noted by Trevor and others.
  True enough, these didn't affect all customers, but if you needed the
affected features you were hosed.  The QT issue is said to be fixed in
v2.7.3, but I haven't verified it myself not heard from anyone who'd
voted for that issue.

As for the file format, that was indeed a non-issue which did get people
far more riled than warranted -- that is, by v2.7.1, in which the global
property governing the stack format was at last publicly revealed (in
v2.7 it was in a Read Me available to improve-rev list members only).
After v2.7.1, all the rest of that format discussion was a waste of
otherwise useful typing. :)