CGI for dummies failed

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Aug 20 09:41:15 CDT 2006

Yup, write a better tutorial and you will meet a bigger dummy :-)

I just knew that Jacques tutorial would work flawlessly.  * sigh *

I know that my cgi-bin folder works because I have another .pl item
in there working.

This is the .cgi script, exactly as Jacques suggested for the initial run:

#!revolution

on startup
   put "Content-Type: text/plain" & cr & cr
   put "Hello World!"
end startup

I tried two other pathways to the first line when the first attempt failed:

#!/cgi-bin/revolution

#!http://fullPathTo/cgi-bin/revolution

I uploaded the Windows Metacard.exe program and renamed it revolution

I thought maybe by old Metacard did not support CGI so I downloaded
the Windows RunRev player app and tried uploading it, renaming it
revolution.

I set all permissions to 755.

But no matter what I do, type in the full url in two different
browsers, and I get:

Internal Server Error
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time
the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.

In studying the logs, two errors occur:

Premature end of script headers
(8)Exec format error

I thought maybe it did not like CR in the script so I tried LF.
Still a failure.

:-(

--
Mac and Windows shareware games