Almost ready for RunRev...

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sat Aug 5 04:46:27 CDT 2006

Hi Jaqueline,

> Klaus Major wrote:
>
>>> Been following this list regarding all Rev talk.  And one thing I
>>> hope gets ironed out before I'm ready to make the leap... is
>>> anybody successfully compiling standalones for Macintel yet?
>>> There seemed to be some issues there.  Standalones not launching?
>> No reply from the mothership yet...
>> Or did the example stack of Mark help you solving the puzzle,
>> Richard?
>
> When Richard gets a free moment there will be progress. I am too
> swamped to deal with it right now. But it isn't really a problem
> for me because I've become very fond of the Rev standalone builder
> now.

Yes, that magic word is NOW.
It really was NOT usable in earlier versions, at least on a german
system
with umlauts in pathnames, non-Rev externals etc...

> I prefer it.
>> But you can of course use Revolution for building standalones, but
>> then
>> you will have to save your stack as "xyz.REV" to make it work.
> No, you can open any stack without changing its extension. In the
> Open File dialog there is a popup menu which allows to open only
> Rev stacks (the default) or "any file". Choose the last option and
> it will open anything.

Really? OMG! I really did not know this!
Geeez, all these wasted years... :-D

> I'm not sure about the extension when building standalones; I
> haven't tried anything other than ".rev".

THAT was what I was referring to, see above ("... but then...") ;-)

Demanding the "*.REV" suffix is a very strange limitation of the STAB
in my opinion.
If it is a valid stack, it should compile!

I am sure the engine can tell the difference of a REALBasic document
with a ".REV" suffix
from a REAL Rev or MC stack without a suffix at all ;-)

> But I routinely name all my stacks with ".rev" now because they
> work fine in MC and you can still drop them onto the app and they
> will open.
>>> I will definitely be staying with the Metacard interface when I
>>> upgrade.  I like it's simplicity and easy overhead.
>> Yeah, so do we! :-)
> I find myself using both now. I prefer MC for all the basics --
> particularly layout -- because I find Rev's property inspector to
> be too slow and non-intuitive. However, I like the Standalone
> Builder, the way the message box tells you the defaultstack, the
> list of pending messages on demand, that sort of thing. The list of
> handlers at the left of the script editor is also nice. So
> depending on what I'm doing, I use both. Between the two it is the
> best of both worlds. I appreciate the flexibility.
>
> --

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de