CGI and DestroyStack property

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Apr 28 15:36:26 CDT 2006

Tariel,

> Would not this mean that in this case it's not a CGI solution any more
> but a "regular" f MC running Stack that listens to some port and
> behaves like web server?
> Something  like mchttpd.mc  stack  that Scott Raney put together and
> Andre later enhanced?
> If this is the case, what PHP adds to it other than robustness and
> reliability ?

Yes - it is a lot like mchttpd. Using PHP as an intermediary buys you a
few things which may or may not be important to you:
1) You don't have to open another port to the outside world, since the
incoming connection is just coming through your web service (port 80)
2) With PHP, you don't have to manage your own incoming HTTP headers -
PHP does this automatically with the $_GET and $_POST variables.

Other than that, it's mostly personal preference - but I feel better
with PHP handling the connection to the outside world to let the
existing web server do the heavy lifting.

> In other words, is PHP absolutely necessary for such a solution or not
> ?

Not at all! I personally prefer it, but it can certainly work without.

- Brian