metacard Digest, Vol 31, Issue 12

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 28 02:09:29 CDT 2006

Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:

>>> I paste styled text into a script editor and I want to make it plain
>>> text, I use the OS menu to set the textfont to "none".
>> Now that we have clipboardData I should just modify that to paste only
>> the text without the style info.
>>
>> Any others?
>
> Not to be considered as an objection, but if Script Editor menus would
> be moved, it would be many moons  before I retrain my fingers to move
> mouse pointer to the new place. Motor memory, you know :)

Indeed I do.

I'll make that change only in my forked copy of the MC Script Editor
right now.  Then you can play with it a bit to see how it works out for
you.  Sometimes the best way to determine if something is what you want
it to just build it and see.

FWIW, I've been using it like this since yesterday and I've been
surprised by how easy it is to retrain the muscles on this one.  Perhaps
the ease here is that while you're looking some MC muscle memory, it's
because of a change that lets you capitalize on the muscle memory
developed over years of Mac use.

> Also, if you move Script Editor menus to menubar, I hope at least
> command + F  would look for TopStack to distinguish what to do because
> currently command + F displays very different find dialogs in Script
> Editor and in general IDE

That's one of the symptoms of the not having the SE menus to the menubar.

> When I need to find some variable in script, command + C -> command + F
> --> command + V -> enter key sequence is more than motor skill, it's
> almost unconditional reflex and I would feel "disabled" without it.
>
> Same goes with command+ G (find again in script editor) as opposed to
> command + G (group) in general IDE

Yep, another upside to replacing the menubar is that it handles the
keyboard triggers; it's not bad once the menus are where the OS expects
them. :)

  Managing Editor, revJournal