ColorizeScript challenge

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 27 21:19:42 CDT 2006

Tereza Snyder wrote:

>>> I don't colorize either. What a couple of saps.
>>
>> That makes three of us. :)
>

> four!

While this is a good exercise, even the most complete implementations
yet (MC and Rev, so as they are) are sparse compared to other environments.

Currently even the most comprehensive Transcript colorization only
covers comments, built-in commands, built-in functions, and control
structures.  It doesn't call out variables, nor differentiate their
type, nor color the user's handlers, etc.

I'm confident we can tweak Geoff's code to take care of function names
with parens, and once that's in the can we're on par with what Rev and
MC have done thus far but it's much, much faster.

But for myself, that's as far as I'd care to take it.  I'd be happy to
integrate other code into the MC IDE which takes other token types into
account, but I can't see myself spending too much time on it.

It's interesting that the ones here who've put in the most time with
colorization don't use it. :)