CGI and DestroyStack property

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 23:53:08 CDT 2006

--- Tariel Gogoberidze <tariel at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand that when MC engine is used as CGI it
> launches new
> instance on each call, but still..
>
> If MC engine used as CGI uses stack inside
> "CGI-executables" folder to
> get or set data, what is the best settings for the
> following properties
> of this stack?
>
> DestroyWindow
> DestroyStack
> AlwaysBuffer
>
> true,  false or doesn't matter ?

In a cgi-environment this doesn't matter, as
everything is closed at the end of your cgi-script.
Every time a client calls your cgi-script, a separate
copy of the engine is launched with your script,
executes it and quits.

> Also, In my situation CGI would be rarely used but
> when used it would
> be about 100 uses almost simultaneously (after
> finishing quiz) sending
> to and getting response from the remote stack
> through MC CGI.
>
> Each data exchange would be 2-3 KB and data
> overwriting (record
> blocking) should not be an issue (I hope) because
> each user would read
> and write to their own custom property.
>
>   I know it can be done more securely with true Data
> Base and I have
> plenty of experience with that, but I just want to
> experiment with MC
> CGI option.

Because of what I mentioned earlier (separately
launched copies of the engine that quit after
processing), you can't reliably save data from
multiple users into the same stack.
You'd be much better off using a database to store the
information you wish to save on the server.

> MC CGI would be on "regular" OS X (not server) on T1
> network. Feasible ?

Since you need database access, you might want to grab
the revolution cgi-engine for Darwin:
<ftp://ftp.runrev.com/pub/revolution/downloads/engines/2.0/cgi/darwin.sit>
Also, read the relevant post on the runrev.com forum
in case you have problems to get it up and running.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>