MOV and AVI embedded files in Linux standalones

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Tue Sep 20 04:01:33 CDT 2005

Hello Mathewson,

The XAnim linux stuff and some others QT to linux stuffs are all
using a windows.dll based QT enabler. I tested all those stuff before
and the emulation process make just them to poor to be serioulsly
usables under Linux  in a real world production mode...

Sorry not to be able to be more helpfull,

Best Regards,

Le 20 sept. 05 à 10:07, Mathewson a écrit :

> UM . . . I had a go with xanim, and, as you say, the
> quality of the video is very poor.
>
> I have 3 problems here:
>
> 1. Isn't it possible to use Quicktime for Linux somehow?
>
> 2. With Mac and Win packages it is quite easy to include
> a Quicktime detection routine, and, for instance, include a
> QT installer with a package. Now that LINUX is becoming
> more mainline, maybe there should be a way to deliver clips
> on the Linux platform as easily as the 2 commercial ones.
>
> 3. I am now working in Bulgaria (not a country oozing with
> ready cash) and trying to set up a pile of Pentium 1 and 2s
> (!!!) with Linux. Now I own Dreamcard 2.6 and have
> downloaded the player for Linux. I have now run into awful
> problems because of the way video is implemented in Ubuntu
> (favouring Edubuntu) means that software developed using
> RR/MC doesn't run: it runs perfectly well with some other
> forms of Linux.
>
> I realise that RR's priorities do not lie, in the first
> instance, with Linux (hence the lag in version numbers) but
> xanim is 5 years old: and Linux now is not what Linux was
> in 1999.
>
> sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
> See Mathewson's software at:
>
> http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html