MOV and AVI embedded files in Linux standalones

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Tue Sep 20 03:07:37 CDT 2005

UM . . . I had a go with xanim, and, as you say, the
quality of the video is very poor.

I have 3 problems here:

1. Isn't it possible to use Quicktime for Linux somehow?

2. With Mac and Win packages it is quite easy to include
a Quicktime detection routine, and, for instance, include a
QT installer with a package. Now that LINUX is becoming
more mainline, maybe there should be a way to deliver clips
on the Linux platform as easily as the 2 commercial ones.

3. I am now working in Bulgaria (not a country oozing with
ready cash) and trying to set up a pile of Pentium 1 and 2s
(!!!) with Linux. Now I own Dreamcard 2.6 and have
downloaded the player for Linux. I have now run into awful
problems because of the way video is implemented in Ubuntu
(favouring Edubuntu) means that software developed using
RR/MC doesn't run: it runs perfectly well with some other
forms of Linux.

I realise that RR's priorities do not lie, in the first
instance, with Linux (hence the lag in version numbers) but
xanim is 5 years old: and Linux now is not what Linux was
in 1999.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html