RR, AIF files and Ubuntu Linux

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 05:39:45 CST 2005

on Mon, 14 Nov 2005
Mathewson wrote:

> I recorded all my sound files on a Mac Mini running
> Mac OS 10.4 - the reason I do things this way is
> that all my other computers HUM and spoil
> my recordings.

This probably means electrical problems
in the power source. You need
power source A/C filters, voltage stabilizers,
etc, etc...

Power supplies from Macintosh are ready to
sort all these electrical problems.

Could you recommend your school to change the
power supplies from these PC's? or get
power source A/C filters, voltage stabilizers,
etc, etc...

> The Ubuntu boxes I'm working with are Pentium 3's
> that do not have network cards - cheap by Western
> standards, but weighing in at the equivalent of the
> average monthly salary each, here in Bulgaria.

Did these machines have CD-Roms or USB ports?
Remember that you could use a CD or a small
(32 or 64 MB) USB memory stick to copy the
install files in these machines

> Owing to the lack of network cards
> installing software that is not bundled on the
> Distro CD is such a pain I'm just not doing it
> (mind you I did spend a horrible Saturday "doing"
> xanim on one of them).

Did you try to play AU files?
<http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/au/>

> I have a fantasy - which I would like to believe is
> not entirely daft - that there should be at least
one
> programming suite 'out there' (and, why not let it
> be MC/RR after all) that will allow me to program
> on a Macintosh computer and then deploy on any
> platform I choose.
> MC/RR comes very near indeed (except RISC OS).

I see a small problem in your wish. :-(

Actually you must wish for:
A programming suite 'out there' (and, why not let it
be MC/RR after all) that will allow you to program
on an Ubuntu Linux computer and then deploy on any
platform you choose. ;-)

> I would like my language school to be a
> demonstration to Bulgarian educators that there
> are alternatives to pirate versions of Windows
> and programs written in retro-style
> Visual Basic. As Linux (specifically Ubuntu) has
> been adopted by the goverment of Macedonia
> there is a lot of interest in Linux here -
> plus, the Bulgarian government
> have pointed out that if they can transfer to an
> Open Source OS they would have money to invest in a
> programming suite (eg. MC/RR) to foster
> the development of in-house educational software.
> I, personally, would love to PUSH Runtime Revolution
> coupled with Ubuntu.

Excellent proposal!
To make the demostration more definitive,
you must create all your stack inside an
Ubuntu Linux box...
Other teachers in Bulgaria, surely, will not
have a Mac Mini... ;-)

These Linux PC's needs badly power source
A/C filters,  voltage stabilizers, etc...

al

Visit my site:
http://www.geocities.com/capellan2000/