Invisible folders on Windows: attempts at copy protection

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Sat May 28 12:07:52 EDT 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 9:16 AM, Shari wrote:

> Once upon a time I'd heard that all CD's, floppies, etc. had a
> unique serial number that could be accessed.  But my attempts to do
> it in MC failed.  I don't know if those serial numbers still exist,
> but it sure would be awesome to get at them if they do.

Some companies print CDs that do contain unique serial numbers
embedded into the disc, though I don't know of their names.  However,
a typical CD will not have a serial #, as far as I know.

Here's an interesting page that seems to attack CD protection... good
to get a look from either side of the fence, though.  Plus, it has a
pretty good list of technologies available and what people are doing
to sidestep them.
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections.shtml

Look around Google if you're really serious about it; I'm sure there
are solutions out there.

Karl