Graphics

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Wed May 25 16:43:55 EDT 2005

>What is so unique about the chips?  If they're separate then yes, you would
>use a separate object for each chip.  If your question is how to manage them
>efficiently, you could create your chips as buttons and set their icon
>properties to the appropriate source chip image stored in your stack.  This
>way you can have a thousand chips (buttons) with virtually no additional
>overhead since all the chips are only pointers original chip art.
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott Rossi

Scott,

That's actually what I normally do for graphics, I'm good at that.
But to have thousands of additional btn objects would surely create
significant overhead?  Anything more than a few K is bad.

It's crucial to keep it from getting any bigger, because people will
download the smaller competitors first.  And only if they are unhappy
will they finally download mine.  Most C-based games of this type are
less than 1 MB stuffed.

I did a bit of research not long ago at various download sites.
Comparing my download rates with some of the competition.  Even
though my game had better screenshots, a better description, equal or
better options, and an equal rating, it got less downloads.  The only
explanation was size.

I tried my darndest to get the whole kaboodle to be less than 1 MB
stuffed, but even with compressing all the graphics and whittling
away at various things, it's 3.5 MB stuffed.

I had hoped for a solution that didn't involve thousands of
additional objects :-(

Shari
--
Mac and Windows shareware games