Standalone RSRC Item?

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Thu May 19 11:38:41 EDT 2005

>In my app which is named LinkIt! I renamed the
>MetaCard.rsrc file to LinkIt.rsrc (I left out
>the exclamation mark since it usually causes
>problems).  I also replaced the text Metacard
>with LinkIt for all occurrences inside the file.
>I did this in an attempt to get my own app and
>doc icons to appear on the desktop, a process I
>still don't fully understand.  So far I've
>gotten the app icon to appear, but my docs are
>taking the app icon, too, instead of the doc
>icon.  It's been a thorn in my side for a long
>time.  I'd love to see some a simple list of the
>steps to accomplish this on OSX, Classic and
>Windows posted somewhere.
>
>Ray Horsley
>Developer, LinkIt! Software

What has worked for me is to do the following.

1.  In the MacOS folder, I rename the
MetacardCarbonMach-0 file to GoldCarbonMach-O
(replacing the word Metacard with Gold, short for
Blackjack Gold, my program).

2.  In the Resources folder I rename the .rsrc file to GoldCarbonMach-0.rsrc

3.  In the Resources folder I place two files,
Gold.icns and Data.icns, which are the icon files
for the program and its associated files.

4.  PkgInfo has the following text in it:  APPLbJg3

5.  My info.plist is as follows:
Note that bJg3 is my creator code which has been
registered with Apple.  Blackjack Gold is the
name of the program, and 1.1.4 is the version.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
	<string>English</string>
	<key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
			<array>
				<string>mc</string>
			</array>
			<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
			<string>Data.icns</string>
			<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
			<string>Blackjack File</string>
			<key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
			<array>
				<string>MSTK </string>
			</array>
			<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
			<string>Editor</string>
		</dict>
	</array>
	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
	<string>GoldCarbonMach-O</string>
	<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
	<string>Gold.icns</string>
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>com.gypsyking.BlackjackGold</string>
	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
	<string>6.0</string>
	<key>CFBundleLongVersionString</key>
	<string>1.1.4, Copyright 2002-2005 ¬Gypsy
King Software/Shari L. Coxford-Yingst</string>
	<key>CFBundleName</key>
	<string>Blackjack Gold</string>
	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
	<string>APPL</string>
	<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	<string>1.1.4</string>
	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
	<string>bJg3</string>
	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	<string>1.1.4</string>
	<key>LFPrefersCarbon</key>
	<true/>
	<key>NSAppleScriptEnabled</key>
	<string>YES</string>
	<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>
	<string>Copyright © 2002-2005, ¬Gypsy
King Software, All Rights Reserved.</string>
</dict>
</plist>
--
Mac and Windows shareware games