Pasting images: purity or usability?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Tue May 17 15:34:13 EDT 2005

Hi Richard and all,

> Klaus Major wrote:
>>> There's an outstanding request to fix an issue in the engine
>>> with  regard to pasting images:
>>>    Currently, pasting an image from the Clipboard causes one
>>> The question for us is whether we should maintain the purity of
>>> the  MC IDE by using the engine's Paste command as it does now,
>>> or favor  usability by implementing the workaround script from RR.
>
>> We CAN of course, if necessary. ;-)
>>
> "Necessary" is the only question.  We can't determine how long this
> legacy bug with image pasting will remain in place, so if we want
> improved behavior it seems more productive to do what we can with
> what's in hand than wait for an unknowable possibility down the road.
>
> So do we really want this behavior?  I'd find it useful, but I'm
> not sure if that's a universal desire;

Same for me...

> maybe some folks like the current behavior (can't imagine it, but
> HyperCarders sometimes have the strangest habits and this behavior
> seems to play into the only-one-bitmap HC paradigm).
>
>> Mr. Miller once promised (yes, he did!) to NOT touch anything in
>> the  engine, so we "friends of Carlotta er Metacard" will not
>> experience
>> any  incoveniences...
>> But it looks like that his memory i fading... :-/
> On the contrary, with this specific issue he's fulfilling that
> promise to a fault:  the engine's always had this anomaly, and
> RunRev has thus far preserved the behavior perfectly. :)

Ooops, sorry, did not know this, apologies to Kevin (in regards of
the image part)!

>> Yes, they lack resources (actullay i heard this one much too
>> often  and cannot stand this argument any longer!!!) but WE cannot
>> tell this to
>> our  customers, i think...
> I've sent some of my customers to the Apple feedback page for bugs
> in OS X that affect WebMerge.  But Kevin's a much nicer person than
> Jobs, so I wouldn't do the same with RR.

Sure, but a fact is a fact...

>> So the question is will Rev support the engine fully or not resp.
>> "tweak" its IDE to "balance out" some engine inconsistencies?
> I'm not clear on why so many engine issues are addressed only in
> their IDE scripts, but since I work on the MC IDE and neither the
> engine nor their IDE it wouldn't be productive for me to
> conjecture.  My job is just to get the best results I can with what
> I have to work with at the moment, and leave the learnability of
> the Rev IDE to its keepers.
>> Yes, i AM a bit upset :-)
>> Especially if there are so many serious(!) and pending bugs and
>> we  have to hear something like "...upcoming features/news that
>> will change the way of using Rev completely", as Mr. Miller
>> stated in the chat last week, then i DO feel a bit pissed... :-)
> I don't think things are quite so dire. Consider how long this
> behavior has been in place, and that the BZ request to update it
> was posted only in December '04.

I felt "a bit pissed" in general ;-)

And please take my little "cursing" not too serious (see the little
smilies?)
It is just that i feel better immeadiately once i wrote it down! :-)

> I have no doubt that there may be some nifty things in the works,
> and I understand how they can be useful in driving new sales.  But
> I also agree with the pervasive feeling expressed in all corners of
> RunRev's community that cleaning up language orthogonality and
> tightening up some behavioral loose ends will do more for their
> conversion rate than anything else.

At least you know what i mean :-)

> But their conversion rate doesn't line my pocket so my time is best
> spent focused on the task at hand:
>
> Should we consider this proposed script change, or let the old
> behavior stand?

For me: leave as is...

> And Klaus, relax.  If you let other people's performance affect
> yours you'll become grouchier than a barking Texan. :)

I am relaxed, see above, just saving the money for an analyst... ;-)

> PS: I saw a documentary recently on Klaus Nomi, and while I realize
> you have nothing in common but the first name

EXACTLY, i don't sing soprano nor am i an "uomo extravaganzo" :-)
(At least not in public :-D

> if you're old enough to remember Nomi

Yep ;-)

> it's a wonderfully nostalgic film: <http://thenomisong.com>
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  Ambassador at FourthWorld.com       http://www.FourthWorld.com

Relaxed greetings from (still cold) germany

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
http://www.major-k.de