[OT]: MC IDE b9

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Fri Jun 10 10:32:10 EDT 2005

Chipp,

No admonition at all Chipp. Your words are always wise just like
Richard's.

I wish i could just do simple products like the Breakpoint Navigator but
these are just intermittent tools in a larger context. They resolve issues
which have not been taken care of in the IDE and which block not just me.

The context in which i work daily and since 15 years is about as broad
as an OS by itself - like linux but for xtalk and in plain english. Im
sure this
is of value - yet it speaks little for TAOO's capabilities: control of the
OS
or any component - and access to information any time, any where +
infinite extensibility for editing... In an object oriented paradigm.

It's not hard to document or fix things but it's extremelly hard to
document
when after each paragraph you get new ideas - so the scripts are the only
documentation i ever needed. I've rewritten the TAOO definition so many
times it's not even funny but getting it right is impossible without the
practice... So i try - each day...

I just wonder where linux would be today if Linus was faced with the same
crowd i am... No admonition intended... But i find many go their own way,
rewrite the wheel and still dont get it... So that's ultra-aggravating if
you've
already pointed the obvious circle...

As for the beta - unfinished ware, you might point out the 2.6 release...
;)
The difference is that users do report the problems - in my case - less
than
a handful - so finding these errors is really hard for me in between
releases.

Yet i fix anything in less than 24 hours... I also respond in less than
8...
Anyway to each his pride and joy...

cheers
Xavier

On 10/06/2005 09:09:26 metacard-bounces wrote:
>xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:
>
>> Im so tired of repeating it...
>
>X,
>
>It's obvious you're a very smart guy, and have a wealth of knowledge in
>many technical areas. But frankly, everytime I download one of your
>stacks, invariably it doesn't work, or I can't figure out what you're
>trying to do, or there's no documentation. I've subsequently quit trying.
>
>You typically reply with a note, "it's still in beta." I certainly
>understand. It takes a lot to 'finish and deliver' software. If I may be
>so bold as to recommend a good marketing technique: Only 'announce'
>finished, documented, and as close to bug-free software as possible. In
>this way you'll gain many more users and supporters of your software.
>
>I know you're excited about TAOO and other plugins and libraries you've
>created. But, if you try only announcing and supporting a simple great
>product, like your 'breakpoint killer,' IMO, you would gain lots of
>credibility with potential users. Then, later you'll be able to command
>attention and respect and most importantly CUSTOMERS when you announce
>newly finished products. This is how you can build a customer base you
>can market to.
>
>I hope you take this as well intended advice and not admonition.
>
>best regards,
>
>Chipp

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER