Caching?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jul 23 14:56:13 CDT 2005

Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> I observed the same behavior, i.e. if a card has not yet been opened
> during a session then "stack" will be returned as the owner - even when
> the background in question is indeed owned by the card. In the
> discussion we had on this list (or the Run list) one or two years ago I
> had proposed  to introduce something like "the effective owner of
> background x".

Or just have object references work consistently.  The current situation
is rather like saying my name is "Richard" as long as we're talking in
person, but if we're communicating via email call me "Joe". :)

An object descriptor should be an object descriptor, regardless of when
it's used.

This anomaly could be why Scott Raney used to recommend parsing the long
ID to find an owner rather than using "the owner".  That seemed weird to
me at the time, but now that I see "the owner" is at least semi-broken
in some cases I understand why.

PS: Tariel, I owe you a couple emails.  Just been swamped with a hellish
project; I look forward to writing you soon.